Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Oh Paleo! You are so hard to explain to people ...

Today I've decide to find the  f word courage to talk about what happens when I say I eat Paleo ...

A year ago I Changed my Life.
I decided to get healthy by becoming an athlete instead of worrying about being skinny. I first started walking 25 miles a week, then I found a Personal Trainer to help me get strong and changed how I nourish my body. 

People ask me about how I eat all the time. I eat Paleo. First response is usually, "Oh that fad caveman diet thingy?" I politely respond, "It's a lifestyle change for me." From there it's quick to assess whether or not they're really interested in the journey I'm on or if my answer should just be "I don't eat Bread." That pretty much gets this response ...




Why do people think it's a fad? Well, because they I have been on so many yo yo diets, so why would this be any different? You know who I'm talking about, those well meaning judges people who are seemingly interested in your weight health by calling you out on your "diet" and don't seem to understand that it can feel like this ...




I'm not saying that Paleo is the only way to go. I'm not suggesting that you should eat Paleo. Each person has their own journey and no two can be the same. Paleo for me is a bounty of healthy foods. I eat meat, eggs, veggies, healthy oils, some fruit and nuts, greek yogurt and a little cheese. I drink water, coffee, tea, red wine and an occasional beer. I use a little honey as a sweetener once in awhile. What I don't eat is grains, legumes, sugar, most dairy and anything fat free, sugar free, canned or boxed. It sure cuts down on reading labels. I know, I know ...




So crazy that I've lost 45 lbs. I wake up knowing I'm on the right track. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I don't have any more anxiety about what clothes I'm going to put on, what they'll look like, who will judge me or if I should just give up and "Call in Fat!" I'm not saying I'm free from the naysayer and party pooper in my head. I'm saying that for me, Paleo has changed my life because I don't even think about what foods I don't eat ... I just eat!




Yep, Just what I said. I just eat. No calorie counting, No measuring, No exchanges ... Just eating fresh foods that give me the energy I need to do the things I want. So the question is ... Would I have believed myself a year ago? Probably not. I did believe her, though ...


                                    My Trainer, Deb 54 years Young




Me ... 54 years Young



Thanks for listening to what it feels like people go through when we try to explain Paleo. Someday it could become mainstream and who knows, maybe even up there with the Herbivores ...


I do miss Toast, who wouldn't?


Image Map

10 comments:

  1. Love your story, you look fantastic! i'm a paleo lover too, although weekends i'm not always as strict as i should be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so great! i must admit i thought of paleo as that 'fad caveman' thing before I found Jess' blog and we got to chit chatting about it. I also thought of gluten free as a stupid bandwagon thing before I was diagnosed myself! haha. But back to Paelo, I like the idea of it, and I think everyone should do whatever the heck they want, and that is so awesome that it is working for you, and way to freaking go lady! but, its not for me. And thats only because I don't like meat, I already have dietary restrictions, and I'm just plain picky. haha. So I rely on a lot of the things that are no-nos on paleo - beans, grains, legumes, and i must ashamedly admit i like canned stuff more than i should. And I hate meat! I eat it sometimes, but so rarely I would turn to skin and bones if I tried to do paleo. but anyway. i just loved reading your story, any lifestyle change for the better is amazing in my book, so yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you found something that works for you! I don't believe in fad or yo-yo diets...I believe in making life style changes as well. If you can stick with it, I say more power to you!!! Food is what I struggle with. I can work out all day...but I want to eat all of the bad things. I have been making small steps and changes to eliminate all the processed and sugar filled stuff in my life. I am not ready to give up cheese yet...but maybe one day:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! My sister eats Paleo and while I havent started (yet ... Im considering) I dont understand how people could judge it! Its a health choice and its a good one. The only reason I haven't started yet is because I'm afraid I wont stick to it.

    Also loving all the memes and gifs you choose. You are rocking this blogging thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU LOOK FANTASTIC! I get so annoyed with people who think it's just a fad or it's all in your head that you feel better when you eat better. Seriously people?! I am a big fan of whatever works for you, DO IT! Rock on girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so over the 'caveman diet fad' comments! But you're right, explaining Paleo isn't the easiest thing to do! The biggest battle for me is when my husband comes home from the store with blocks of cheese and anything with a noodle in it. I'm always like "really?!" I wish he would eat like I do, but I don't see that happening. Have you ever done a Whole30? I did one and want to start another next month, but living with Mr. Bread and Cheese it's always a challenge! Thanks for sharing your story with us! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't call myself paleo, but I am a clean eater! or at least that is what I am aim for! Most of the time I am pretty good about it, but it looks like I could still take some motivation from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will eat enough bread and cheese for the both us, mama! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. No checking labels is the best part!!

    ReplyDelete

Whatchya Got?